Saturday 2 July 2011

The Beginning


OK, so... I've finally decided to start blogging about my photography. I'm not sure whether this will be interesting for anyone but at the very least, I might find it interesting to read back one day!

 I'm going to start it off by briefly summing up how I got started and what I've been up to so far so that I can blog from the present.

I became interested in photography quite late. I  picked up a camera for the first time in 2009 at the fresh young age of 20 years.

Starting out as a freelance part-time model, I spent a lot of time with photographers, building up portfolios and the like. I had a lot of ideas for photoshoots but I found that the photographs themselves rarely came out as I had envisioned them. I realised that I wanted more than anything to create. To be the creator. As a model, your creativity can be limited as, whether your photographer is easygoing and flexible or not, you never truly have the control you need to create the image you are hoping for. You are always relying heavily on the photographer.

After getting to know a couple of photographers quite well, one in particular, (still a very good friend) Pete Baldrey effectively changed my life, I suppose. I mentioned that I would like to 'have a go' at photography and so he loaned me his Canon 350D and off I went!

My first 'photoshoot' with a wonderful girl, Kiera Gould (Masquerade shoot, note the pictures!), was amazing. We drove to Pete's studio and he showed me how to work the lighting and then told me to give him a shout if I needed anything. I was so excited! We were shooting late into the evening, throwing more and more ideas and potential images around. It is still to this day one of my favourite shoots just for the sheer amount of fulfillment it left me with.


After that shoot I was sincerely hooked and I am still bouncing around with excitement before every shoot to this day and I can be buzzing for days and days afterwards.
So there it is. That is how it began...

1 comment: